Tuesday 12 August 2014

How The Mighty Have Fallen

Oh, where to begin here? Let’s start with a little James Brown. It’s not my usual taste, but he has released some real gems in an expansive back catalogue. “The Payback” being one of those gems and quite suited to the subject of this entry. Sadly, this musical segue has given me a ridiculous theme to write this entry by, and I am a sucker for ridiculous ideas (like drake roams). Think of that what you will but There was a time when I thought it was a good idea (apologies - it wont get any better than that, but don't stop clicking those links!).

Payback. It’s easy to get wronged in eve. Thieves and scammers have become so accepted as a part of the game’s culture that there are a few well renown. As far as infamy goes, Awox hit the jackpot to get his name used as a verb for blue-tackling. Maybe it’s because many pilots see the appeal of fame or infamy and want their own little slice, and here I reference Skunkworks. They weren’t the ones who invented the various methods of awoxing incursion fleets or using aggression mechanics to gank the fleets, but they are the ones people associate with it. The story about it being a protest about the ISK people generated by running incursions and therefore raising PLEX prices was about as flimsy as they come. It was about the attention and the lols.

I used to fly with a guy who, through innovative use of the in-game notepad, kept tabs on everyone that had ever wronged him with the intention of paying back every single one. From the guy who first popped him when he first discovered lowsec wasn’t safe to take shortcuts through in your best ship, to the old friend who popped his ship in a wardec. Payback is not always forthcoming and tends not to be particularly noteworthy when it does. I’d love to say that for all these pages of notes, my former cohort didn’t hand out one ounce of retribution, but he did get the latter of the two I mentioned. He’d tracked his target to Dodixie and waited for him to undock where he waited with his Arty Thrasher, and moments later payback came in the form of a shuttle killmail. Epic.

Personally, I don’t mind little things like who popped my ship once upon a time, so why Bring it up? Well, some things I do mind. Slander, for example. Running a corporation in Disavowed. Was one of The things that I used to do. After I left, some things were stolen from inside the forcefield of one of the Blackstar Privateers corporation towers, but crucially, not from inside the hangars. I believe a couple of guys lost an Orca, a Legion and a couple of other smaller ships. It was initially assumed that one of the game patches had made them bug, which was reported to have happened to another corp within the alliance. Odidi Peyo, who lost the Orca (which I had built for him) petitioned it. His response was that the items were still in game, but the GM couldn’t reveal where they were or who had them, ergo, stolen.

This was never announced publicly, but I was blamed for this. I know this because I was in contact with the guys who had lost ships. Odidi had asked me directly whether I’d taken his ships, apparently just to clear up the issue and accepted my ignorance of the thefts and was Bewildered at the news. At the time, Odidi was one of the officers within Blackstar, under IamSeannn and Dizzy Uzzy and relayed this information back to them in the command channel.

IamSeannn> Odi, it was Jay. It’s the only logical explanation.

Now, let’s ignore how I got the chatlog for a minute and work through Sean’s logical reasoning here. Firstly, I had been out of the corporation for 4 weeks and had all my toon out of the wormhole for at least a week longer than that. On the exact date that the ships went missing, I was on holiday with my wife, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. The hotel did have WiFi, but I had made a point of not bringing a laptop – just had better things to do. I mean, if you go to Amsterdam with a significant other, you just have to Let yourself go.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that this particular set of circumstances won’t stop a determined thief, but Iamseannn always struck me as one of those people who have a habit of Talking loud and saying nothing. The important thing to me was that no one who had anything stolen believed that I did it. My own theories on the theft implicated either himself or Dizzy. Before I left, he was moaning about leaving ships floating in the forcefield – free intel or something. Circumstantial, I know, but combine that with the chips the pair had on their shoulders about me leaving. Certain people in Blackstar would send me snippets of the corp chatlog which showed how insecure Dizzy in particular was at stepping into my shoes, feeling he needed to point out that they could manage without me etc. Just words though, and they needed something to cement this. Something that could either prove their quality as leaders or discredit mine by painting me as a thief. This is why I suspect them of stealing the ships themselves, but like them, I have no proof. I believe that the total of this Grand Heist came up to slightly less than 2 billion ISK. If I was going to blacken my name, it would be for a lot more than that. I’d just sold a carrier toon as well, so I was in a situation where I could say I've Got Money.

Fast forward a couple of months to just after I joined United System’s Commonwealth where I was enjoying small gang PvP (not massive blobs) and just being able to play the game instead of being The Boss. Jay was on pewliday in highsec at the time, and my other toons were living out of an Orca in the USYSC C5. Disavowed roll into us one night while I was busy in highsec. Their scouts buzzed the towers to see who was home while their fleet was waiting the other side of the K162. From their public channel and several others, I could tell who was online, who their FC (Max Leadfoot) was and could guess at the size and composition of their fleet. Knowing they had roughly 3 times our numbers in T3’s alone and had undoubtedly Max’s links and Nag ready to jump us with other caps on standby, it was looking less like a potential fight and more like a lossmail donation. Our own scouts confirmed my suspicions. Obviously feeling Superbad from the fleet backing him up, IamSeannn’s alt piped up in local.

Maya Scorsese> Hi Val. miss u

There was some other smacktalk, but nothing witty or noteworthy enough to mention. This many not appear noteworthy itself, but I tend to remember These Foolish Things. Especially when, as Sunday night, we roll the connection to find a way to bring some caps back in but instead of finding a viable jump location, we find the Mighty Disavowed. The timing was interesting, since I was on dotlan looking at a jump-plan when I noticed the top alliance movers on the right which listed Disavowed as having -254 members in the last 7 days. Looks like they had a clearout. Everyone except Viperfleet had amalgamated into Pandora Sphere.

While the rest of the chain was being scouted, Galmas did his usual trick of intercepting scouts leaving the hole, catching an unsuspecting covert ops and Poerkie’s Enyo that had gone in to get rid of the Eris. At some point, a Gila even warped in and thought better of it, leaving some poor Anathema to bravely scoop the Gila’s discarded drones. One covert ops did manage to make it past the one man blockade and find his way into our home system – an obvious alt of Jezza McWaffles, also creatively named Jezza. One of our guys asked if we could still get a fight out these guys, which left me thinking; Please, Please, Please! Jezza was obviously scouting the POS’s to get intel on our numbers and fleet comp. This is the sort of thing I would use D-scan for, but Jezza is pro and uses combat scanner probes.

On his way out, he found three of our ships, including a bubbler attempt to catch him on the static. He bravely jumped back into our home system and hid, giving me the perfect opportunity to provoke them. I had a feeling that everything I said in local would get relayed back to his alliance. Actually, I was counting on it. I dropped a bit of light banter in local, as well as a few gifs as a way of saying Bring it on… bring it on. While this way going on, IamSeannn’s alt, Maya Scorsese seemed to go AFK next to Galmas for a full minute. This tends to be a good way of waking up in highsec. Oh, it’s a cruel world.

Jezza> I’ll probably just yolo out at some point.

This told me two things. Firstly, Jezza was the type of cretin to still be using ‘yolo’ and, secondly, it was now time to deliver my coup de grace in local.

Jay Joringer > DE.NY don't fight anymore? 
Jay Joringer > jpeg

Surely no self-respecting PvP alliance could suffer such a slur. Especially from a small, independent corporation such our ours. I was not disappointed. The scouts reported IamSeannn in a Vagabond, backed up by Poerkie in a Dominix as well as a couple of Gilas and an Oracle. Catching them out on a cross-jump, we caught them between two interdictors at different ends of their static. Most of their kitchen-sink fleet warped off to safespots, but Bloemkoolsaus’ Oracle was slightly behind and was given the pod express for his tardiness.  

From there, our fleet split up. With Galmas inside their home system, myself on their static K162 side and the rest of the fleet on the only other wormhole out of their system. Sherpa chased them around with combat probes until they decided to Get it together and make a run for it back to their new home. Poerkie landed first in his Domi and returned fire. Poerkie’s backup arrived and jumped through the WH into their home as my own backup arrived. The Domi lit his MJD while one of the Gilas jumped back into the static to escape. Sadly for IamSeannn, his Vagabond couldn’t burn away quick enough to escape my webs or Galmas’ scram. As the local tank sputtered its last throes of resistance, I decided to say ‘hi’.

Jay> Hi Sean. Miss u
IamSeannn> bye
IamSeannn> :(
IamSeannn> ransom?

The guns answered that one.  OK, it’s only a couple of kills, so the build-up might seem a little overindulgent but I’ll admit the accusation of stealing irked me. I didn’t think possessing the frozen corpse of my accuser would provide satisfactory consolation, but the wait has been long enough. It even left me thinking to myself I Feel Good, and perhaps more than a little smug. Well, there it is. It might seem a little thing, but there’s all the ‘knowing’ that goes with it. I think Sen put it best:

Sen Cate > he'll love it that you are top damage


There's that too, as well as seeing the mighty Disavowed run from little old us.

No comments:

Post a Comment